Taken from The Borneo Post
By Norni Mahadi July 23, 2010, Friday
MIRI: The federal government has allocated RM20 million for Sarawak to survey the perimeters of native customary land (NCL) and set up a delivery management office (DMO) to supervise all new programmes utilising such land.
“This will start by the end of this year and will be continued under the 10th Malaysia Plan,” he said.Najib said the Delivery Management Office (DMO) would supervise and monitor the new land initiative.The initiatives were formulated during a Government Transformation Programme (GTP) Lab for Sabah and Sarawak Bumiputeras in Kuching last March.Najib thanked the state government for giving full support to the implementation of the new land initiatives.
In line with the national new economic model, he said Chief Minister Pehin Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud and the state government had agreed to undertake a two-prong approach to native land programme.This includes identifying the boundaries of native customary en bloc throughout the state and get them gazetted accordingly.These would be gazetted under Section 6 of the state Land Code.Read more here
Taken from Bintulu.Org
Prime Minister’s Native Customary Rights (NCR) land latest initiatives were just another Barisan National promises and elections ploy to gain the support of disenchanting Dayaks said PKR Bintulu branch chairman Paul Raja.
“It was really a knee jerk reactions to what’s happening in Sarawak and also an admission that BN Have been neglecting the Dayaks’ land rights all along,” he said at an exclusive interview with Bintulu.Org in Bintulu, Saturday.
Instead of protecting Dayaks rights over their lands as during Rajah Brooke time, Paul said the present state government has been gradually eroding those rights by regularly amending the Land Code.
“Why now they want to talk about NCR land? All the while they were saying it was no longer an issue.
Why there is Federal interference in land which fall under state jurisdiction?Why only now the State Government finally agree to do a Perimeter Survey on NCR Land?In other aspects,it seems to prove that BN in Sarawak is USELESS and HOPELESS!!Why do they need Najib to interfere?Land is a state matter!!This has further proven that BN Politics of Developments is FAILURE and the biggest SCAM!!
Pakatan Rakyat Offers Better Land Code Affecting Their NCR Lands If Given Mandate To Rule Sarawak
Iban has better choice in Pakatan Rakyat especially Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR). PKR in its Convention held on 28 July 2009 at Crown Tower Kuching, adopted the resolution on Land as follows :-
(1) To ensure that alienation of land shall be fair and just and that landless and needy Sarawakian families shall be entitled to apply for and be granted alienation of lands.
(2) To make it a fundamental policy that in Sarawak land belongs to the people and government only holds and administers land in trust for the people as opposed to the policy that all lands are state land.
(3) To make residential land to be issued with grants in perpetuity. All lands currently held with 60 or 90 years lease periods are to be automatically converted to land with such lease with no further payment or premium except for nominal administrative charges.
(4) To review, amend or repeal any legislation or provisions in any land statutes that are unjust, oppressive and burdensome to landowners.
(5) To introduce amendments to the Sarawak Land Code with a view to upgrade NCR land owners from mere licenses to proprietors of land issued with documents of titles and therefore for such right to lawfully acquired through purchase, inheritance, as gifts and by other lawful means.
(6) To establish a Native Land Commissioned to identify, determine and settle all NCR lands issues with powers to investigate, review and give back NCR land ownership by issuing titles to lands which have been ascertained to have been illegally alienated and acquired.
(7) To introduce smart partnership policy to ensure all land-based development be participated by and are for the maximum benefit of both the landowners and financiers or the developers.
(8) To ensure that companies alienated land for oil palm plantations truly develop the said land instead of selling them for quick profit.
(9) To recognise the cultural and customary practices of the natives relating to land use in particular “Pulau Galau” and “Pemakai Menoa” and to accord the lands involved in such practices due status.
(10) To ensure that NCR land Policy conforms to the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indegenous people. This means to respect the inherent rights of the indegenous peoples especially their rights to their lands, territories and resources and their rights not to be subjected to any action which dispossess them of the same and from any form of forced population transfer which violates or undermines any of their rights (Article 8 and Article 26).
(11) To introduce a Land Acquisition Ordinance to provide that land shall be acquired for a truly public purposes and be properly and fairly compensated by the government and that no person should be deprived of his land without fair compensation. That land acquisition process ought to be carried out in a fair, just and transparent manner and that Section 47 Land Code Procedure ought to be reviewed or even abolished.
(12) To recognise all forests on NCR lands as Native Forests.
(13) To restore NCR lands in Batang Ai and Bakun (HEP) and future HEPs that are not inundated and that they to be given back to the former NCR owners.
(14) To ensure that all developments affecting NCR lands shall be based on free, prior and informed consented.